Monday, September 27, 2010

A Touch of Macedonia












Badboulder has become a part of everywhere we've been; admittedly I've been much more the collector than David.

"Why are you buying that?' , "What do you want with that?" , "Do you know how much space that will take in our luggage?" or "What exactly is that thing?" is his frequent commentary. David no longer asks about pebbles and when it all comes together he has the grace to praise my selections, if indeed he likes the item.

Because part of our wonderful family is Macedonian, I've traveled to that part of the world a bit more frequently. Logically, many treasures collected this last decade are Macedonian--gifts being the most treasured.

I saw a bit of his father in our son the day I walked to a tile store in Skopje and returned with all the small tiles I could carry. The shopkeeper spoke no English and my Macedonian consisted of "please and thank you" so he was a bit surprised I had made a monetary transaction. He also doubted I would arrive back to the USA with tiles intact. (If not, those tiles would have become mosaic material)

I saw a bit more of those father/son characteristics on another trip when I scored big time at an antique store. Our son had lived in Skopje five years and NEVER spotted that shop. Admittedly he had much more important things on his mind while living there--learning a new language to court a bride, then helping parent two new daughters, writing magazine articles as well as commuting to Kosovo to earn a living. Maybe it just takes a collector to spot such gems.

Common items used in Macedonian daily lives as well as the decorative caught my fancy. Badboulder's commode room door now sports definitive plaques that I found on every W.C. that I ever visited in Skopje--bought at a grocery store. I don't recall visiting a home without icons; luckily I found some. Replica tiles from twelfth century art are favorites. A hand-crocheted tablecloth made by a much loved Baba, a Turkish coffee pot, casserole dishes, and some stoneware pipes used for drinking hot, sugared Rakija (the local firewater) add to the Macedonian touch.

Not being a minimalist, one of my favorite decorative theories is "If you like it, it will fit in with other items you own." I love Badboulder's touch of Macedonia.

FROM THE KNOT: Rakija is not just a touch of Macedonia; it's a genuine TWO-FISTED, FULL-THROTTLE KAPAO. Badboulderlady usually finds the softer side of the world. So, let's check in on her. She is, you know, sort of a modern day Marco Polo. When she comes home from her visits about the planet, whether it be Macedonia, Korea, or California, or the bottom of the Grand Canyon, she is laden down not with spice, but pebbles and tiles and everything nice. There is a story behind each item and each pebble, as any visitor to Badboulder can attest. And see this little black pebble, it came from.....please, please, pray do tell us about this unusual little pebble. Fancy a shot of rakija? Or two? Or three?

a parting shot from bbman: 58,195--the number of names on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, sometimes called the wall

No comments:

Post a Comment