Thursday, January 6, 2011

Badboulder's First Window Mosaic




My craft/guest room captures early morning rays through two large windows and a full view door. The early morning summer rays are so intense that we use black drapes to help sleepers avoid a 5 am wake-up call from the sun. Smaller south facing windows provide natural light without heating the room too much. David custom made these long, narrow windows--not any easy job.

In December of 08 Badboulder experienced a winter storm that brought some 80 mph wind gusts along with rain, sleet and snow. We had never witnessed a mountain storm of that magnitude but saw another less than a month later in January of 2010. This fierce storm uprooted three ancient pine trees in a nearby neighbor's yard. Alas,it also slightly cracked one of our long narrow windows.

Over time the small crack spanned the width of the window. Fortunately only the interior pane suffered. Window replacement would be a bear and distracts from more important jobs, thus I've been given carte blanc mosaic privileges.

Initially I thought subtle, clear or pearlized jewels might be in line but they just highlighted the problem.

Trips to Hobby Lobby(the divorce incubation store) and three Michael's store resulted in the materials needed to make an Asian inspired mosaic on the windows. Hobby Lobby sells adhesive leading for faux stained glass projects. I'm using this for branches. After some searching through Michael's jewelery-making aisles I found some black leaf-shaped gems. I'm using Aleene's glass and bead glue to adhere the gems to the glass.

I traced the shape of the window crack onto white paper with a carpenter's lead pencil, then darkened the line with black crayon. First I arranged the "leaf" beads in a weeping downward pattern that is perhaps a bit more of an Asian look. Eventually, I decided those leaves needed to be stretching for the sunlight and tilted them upward.

I'll reverse this design and create a similar pattern for the opposing window. The window in between will get a more upright branch of leaves.

My intent is to solve the problem with decorative mosaics that becomes part of the decor. Hope this looks better than duck tape.

The old "necessity is the mother of invention" adage has provided another fun, DIY Badboulder project. Just what I need on these cold, snowy and ice-covered days!

P.S. This became another of those work in progress projects. Off to the big city to buy glue--mine had pretty much solidified. Actually I'm off for a girls' night out but like all Yarnellians I always buy necessities as opportunity avails. Should I ever have an audience with a queen, a president or the pope I would probably multitask and buy a loaf of healthy bread or some other essential on my way home. Just a fact not a whine--I love life up here!

FROM THE KNOTHOLE: Well, here we go again, looking through the windows of Badboulder into her very soul. And what do we see? Badboulderlady, of course. And that, folks, is about as close as we will get to Badboulder's soul. When I asked Badboulderlady, deep down in her soul, who she would rather visit with, the president, the queen, or the pope, I was a bit surprised by her response. I presumed that she might want to take on the pope and help him see the world from a different point of view. Keep in mind that we are from Arizona where a prominent Catholic Hospital was recently sanctioned, i.e., stripped of its Catholic status by the local bishop for performing an abortion to save the mother's life. Or the queen who really needs to get over this business of being offended when the curtsy or the bow is omitted. Nope, Badboulderlady would choose neither the pope nor the queen. She chose the president. Why, because of the three, his office is the most prestigious.

a parting shot from bbman: 5 cents: the price of a coke when i was in high school; 22 cents: the price of a gallon of gasoline when i was in college; priceless: receiving a box of jello parfait dessert and a manual egg beater from my mother while in the middle of the jungle in vietnam in 1969.

1 comment:

  1. Love your mosaic idea! It's great! And I love the gift you received in the middle of Nam! Thanks for the smile!

    ReplyDelete