Wednesday, July 14, 2010

DIY Multi-media Mosiac




Today I'm applying a smooth layer of drywall compound as the base for a mosaic of two peacocks to be made of small pebbles, small bits of tile, stained glass, and stained glass leading. I have made patterns by rubbing the antique carved wooden columns that support our bathtub surround. I used a crayon on sketch paper, then highlighted the edges and features with magic marker. A copy of the tracing, to be cut apart, provides the pattern for the small details such as the peacocks' tail spots, eyes, beak, and crown.

The construction of Badboulder has never been about resale; and yet I paused a bit for input from daughters about my decision to add the mural to our master bathroom wall. The bathroom is 16 X 16 with a cathedral ceiling that reaches 17 feet in height; the size allows for a spacious vanity and tub. Both of these necessities are tiled in Tuscan stone, 6 inch tiles from Lowes, with a band of large, smooth pebbles collected from travels (Paris, Greece, Macedonia, Del Mar Dog Beach, and Germany) with family. The walls are painted in a taupe color, the tile also taupe. I am counting on green plants to add some pizazz. The wooden columns are mahogany and the door surround is painted in Wild Horse which is compatible with the columns. The door surround features 6th-14th century Macedonian icon pictures, part of an artist's portfolio purchased in an antique shop in Skopje. The pictures are awaiting polyurethane, the final part of the decoupage process. I admired the peacock murals in some Roman ruins in the south of Macedonia and felt they would ad to the old world decor. David describes it as out Temple of Doom bathroom decor but to each his own.

Leslie gave me the confidence I needed with her comments about this being an "over the top bathroom" and then a clincher of "your grandkids will never say, my Baba really knew how to choose a nice shade of taupe but they will always remember a peacock mural". This project requires my best as masonry is most difficult to scrape off one's wall.

I'm excited to have an indoor task today as the temperature may reach 115 degrees in PHX; this means 100 for Boulder Mountain. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment