Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Bits & Pieces of Tuesday




Yesterday I got an emergency call to substitute teach; returned to 95 degrees inside the house so I whined for Margaritas. I did accept the challenge of our usual two mile walk before consuming my favorite refresher in order to truly justify the sugar. Dave's World Famous Margarita recipe has been tweaked; we're eliminating the soda pop, replacing with sparkling water and increasing the lime aid and triple sec. They were incredible.

As rewarding as it was to see students shiny faces and to view the gaping holes and new teeth proudly displayed by giggling first graders, I must admit the pleasant experience of yesterday only bolstered my morning today as I enjoyed the leisure that retirement holds. I am treasuring my time spent transforming Badboulder's thistles and thorns into pockets of flowering plants.

As I watered the Virginia Creeper this morning, honest to God this is true, a small frog hopped onto my bare toe. I'm a novice photographer and haven't learned to carry a camera, so alas, no pictures. A young frog represents success to me. For four years now I have engaged in saving frogs from the tadpole stage to maturity. As we continue to provide more boggy spaces the frogs choose to live with us among the boulders as opposed to hopping off in search of those greener pastures we hear so much about. A chorus of frogs serenade us as we sit on our deck evenings. I find one or two big bellied frogs each day sitting in the dense shade the water iris provide to that corner of our pond (otherwise those iris would be gone as they've never bloomed).

The frog encounter alone made for a wonderful Tuesday but there was so much more--our periwinkle blue wheelbarrows are full of orange marigolds, hot pink zinnias, purple morning glories and several errant tomato plants. There was time to paint a buffet cart and stain a table for our deck and best of all, I'm ready to share an iced cappuccino with David as the latest monsoon dumps sheets of rain on our new deck roof.

Retirement is grand!

FROM THE KNOTHOLE: Crowing about the croaking of cute little frogs jumping on her toes. Bragging about wheel barrows full of flowers sitting in front of our green gate. Singing the praises of the good life at Badboulder. Relaxing with an iced cappuccino on the deck under the new deck roof. Well, let me tell you, did Badboulderlady bother to tell you that it was me that made the case for a roof on the deck? In Arizona, every structure needs a roof. If the rain doesn't get you then the sun will. Without a roof, there would be very few days when the deck would be comfortable. Oh, hi Honey, may I come join you on the deck? Oh, look, it's raining. I just love the sound of rain on a metal roof. What did you say? Okay, smoochy-smoochy.

a parting shot from bbman: i would travel 5,000 miles to be home for only 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment