Saturday, August 14, 2010

Peacock Mosaic Update



My peacock mosaic project somehow got put on hold while we saw Maria off to the Army and worked on our deck. The deck is of great importance during these 100 degree days as it is our major source of air conditioning during the daytime hours. The views from the deck are spectacular; its a magical place to end the day as Yarnell boasts a sky bursting with stars. So, really didn't mind easing up on the peacock project.

A trip to Joanne's to buy pebbles was enlightening--I bought black pebbles for outlining features of the mosaic which meant tile and/or leading wasn't necessary and I found some tiny brown rocks for much of their bodies. The pebbles and stained glass are now in place and I'm ready to grout with a brown non-sanded product. Hobby Lobby offered enough in way of turquoise stained glass to make decision making a bit difficult. Actually carried one piece around in my cart, then went back and exchanged it right before purchasing. It has been several years since I cut stained glass but found it was like the old "riding a bicycle adage", technique was quickly remembered.

David paused to comment recently on the peafouls, "Why do you have those heathen peacocks up there next to your Macedonian icons?" I have a picture of Roman ruins from the south of Macedonia depicting the peacock along with other Christian symbols that had been my inspiration but I couldn't justify my choice without a Google search.

Indeed, the peacock has been controversial through the ages. I loved the description from an ancient Hindu describing the bird as having angel feathers, the voice of the devil and the walk of a thief. We lived a mile away from some of these pompous strutters forty-five years ago and I still recall their voices greeting the dawn at 6am on a Saturday morn as most unpleasant.

The peacock became a Christian symbol of immortality due to an ancient belief that the flesh did not decay. It is found in early Christian mosaics and tomb paintings and later became a symbol of Christ and the resurrection. In mythology, it became a symbol of fidelity as it was believed a peacock died of grief or remained single after losing its mate. Peacocks hated gold and wouldn't go near it and could foretell rain in the immediate future. Some scholars believe that undesirable superstitions involving keeping peacocks out of one's house arose in order to keep them from being eaten. The Romans ate both flesh and feathers.

My peacocks are in no danger of nearing too much gold or being eaten. Google came to my rescue on their placement. Good luck, peace of mind, protection , harmony, joy, majestic, celebration of life--those are all superlatives listed on their sites that I choose to use for the pebbly pair!

I may apply some cobalt blue jewels to their turquoise tail spots after grouting and I very much welcome opinions on that move--comments please!

FROM THE KNOTHOLE: Hey, youuu-hooo, up here, in the knothole, I see you. Peacocks a Christian symbol? And Romans used to eat them? Peacocks are still around, but the Roman Empire is gone. Must be a lesson in there somewhere. Anyway, I am glad my peacocks are made of pebbles and stained glass.

a parting shot from bbman: The longest journey begins with a single step. I think that comes from a Chinese proverb.

1 comment: