Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Exploding Solar Water Heater



Our first winter in Yarnell, 1994-95, was actually quite rare in that we received so much rain that the town wash trickled until early June. As newbies we just thought , "How delightful, we have this little brook running through our property." I'm not sure if we saw rain again for two years as we experienced some searing drought with no monsoon activity. Our limited weather experience, no summer rains, figured into my list of persuasive reasons why we should become pioneers and move onto our own property with only a utility room to house us. I cited no more rent which is huge for "DIYers paying-as-we-go home builders". I reminded David that he spent most of his time in hotels while working as a flight attendant for America West Airlines, now US Air, and said I was willing to change my lifestyle.

The utility room contained a bathroom, washer and dryer, utility cabinets, and a sleeping loft reached by a vertical ladder positioned straight up the wall, think submarine here. We planned an outdoor kitchen. Some wonderful friends were spending three months in cool bliss and offered the use of kitchen and bathing facilities. Actually, they were so generous they urged us to move into their guest quarters, however we saw that as far too much of an imposition. We're still friends.

We were in the process of proving intent to reside with the electric company, so that washer and dryer came in handy for shelving but it was a laundry tub, cold water, a washboard and clothes line from June 15 to mid October that kept us presentably dressed.

Pioneer that I was, cold water showers just weren't for me, despite the hot days. David, always to the rescue, professed to know about solar water heaters (I think he had some experience using one during his Army days).

Our solar water heater was simply an intact, chemical-free barrel painted with a special black paint, filled with a garden hose, and connected to a water line leading into our utility. The water temperature rivaled AZ's famous chilies and jalapenos; there was plenty for two people.

Evening's bath after an entire day spent working outdoors in an AZ summer was truly prized. Bath time with warm water was going to be such a pleasure. The anticipated solar heater was in place. David took first shower and was quick about it to ensure I had plenty of warm water. Ah, my turn! I used the water saving technique of a brief rinse, turn off the water, lather entire body and apply a generous amount of shampoo, then the luxury of rinsing. Just as I turned the water on for that rinse, we heard a resounding boom. The solar water heater had blown its top and I rinsed in cold water.

David is not one to be bested by a barrel; he added a pressure device to our next solar water heater. We successfully used it until APS installed our electricity in October. I now have three half barrels to use as planters; and they also remind us of the progress we've made in building Badboulder.

FROM THE KNOTHOLE: Hey, it's me, up here, keeping an eye on things. It was actually quite a boom, and rather dangerous. I knew that a large barrel would not take 50 pounds of water pressure, and I had not intended for Badboulderlady to turn off the water at the shower. She was supposed to yell at me to turn water off and on as it entered the barrel. I thought she understood because she had done that for me. The shower was in the building and the barrel was outside in the sun.

a parting shot from bbman: Expensive cars are very poor investments.

No comments:

Post a Comment