Friday, August 27, 2010

Dark Secret Garden




Shortly after purchasing our lot, the description reads 2 1/2 to 3 acres(it's difficult and expensive to measure boulders) we discovered a couple of deep mining pits on our property. Mr. Pierce, the prospector who first owned the land, must have grown weary waiting for rain in order to prospect in the wash and started digging for gold. The pits were deep enough to present a danger, but fortunately we discovered them before falling in. The most shallow pit was located a few yards from our house site. David shoveled all the dirt, rocks and decomposed granite from the excavating process into that hole which almost filled it completely.

I continued with our effort to transform an unsightly, dangerous problem into a more acceptable part of the landscape. This involved bringing several wheelbarrows (we do everything around here with a wheelbarrow) of granite from the wash to level the area. All that was left to do was cut back a bit of the chaparral and move in some outdoor furniture.

It was a glorious morning when that task was completed and I could sit in this spot with my early morning cup of coffee.

From the day it came together, this pit was renamed "My Dark Secret Garden" because all the planters were painted with a shade of purple labeled dark secret. Leslie gave the paint to me. The large planter is an old ammo box given to me by a neighbor who survived D-Day in World War 11 and went on to serve America in Korea. The furniture was once pristine white, a princess touch to our daughters' bedroom when they were four years old, now repainted black. The parrot's cage was a gift from another junk-loving friend. I just added the secret garden sign, purchase from my favorite Yarnell store, The Emporium. Indian paintbrush provides a touch of red to the east and the wild sunflowers add color to the west border. This summer both a Colorado four-o'clock and a sacred dactura sprung up, not in the most convenient places, but they're still here. Deep shade is always welcome in AZ and this is one of few on the civilized part of our property. The Dark Secret Garden exudes good vibes for me--even if my day is so busy I only smile as I go by it.

FROM THE KNOTHOLE: Hey, it's me, up here, keeping an eye on things, except what goes on in the dark secret garden. I will never tell.

a parting shot from bbman: buy american.

No comments:

Post a Comment